Dental inlays and onlays are restorations used to repair back molars with modest decay or fractured, that are not enough damaged to need a dental crown.
The most suitable candidate for an inlay or onlay usually has sufficient healthy tooth remaining. That allows the dentist to conserve more of the patient’s original tooth structure.
There are other advantages to inlays and onlays in comparison to ordinary fillings, like:
- Inlays and onlays are durable because they are made out of hard-wearing material which could last over to 25 years.
- This form of restoration help to strengthen teeth by up to 75%, unlike traditional fillings which can reduce the strength of the teeth by up to 50%
- Inlays and onlays extend the duration of the tooth life and prevent the need for any further dental treatment.
- Dental Inlays are similar to dental fillings, and they fit inside the cusp of the tooth giving it a natural appearance.
- A dental Onlay is generally done to a large scale tooth cavity, and it usually extends over the cusps of the treated tooth.
During the dental treatment, Your dentist at A better Smile Dental Centre will remove the old fillings under local anesthesia
, and he will make an impression or mould of the tooth, which it is sent to our In-house dental technician
where he would make an image like your tooth in strong porcelain components.
The Inlay or Onlay is later glued into place, sometimes during the same dental appointment.
The final result is a fully functional tooth with a natural and uniform appearance.